Police charge Cardiff hit-and-run driver with murder
A 31-year-old man has been charged with murder of Karina Menzies who died during a series of hit-and-run incidents in Cardiff on Friday.
The man has also been charged with 13 counts of attempt murder, four counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and dangerous driving.
He has been remanded in custody to appear at Cardiff Magistrates’ Court on Monday morning.
Ms Menzies dies outside Ely Fire Station.
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Superintendent Paul Hurley said: “South Wales Police has been overwhelmed by the support we have received from the community.
“We wish to express our sincere thanks to the many people who have come forward to give information, provide witness accounts, and offer both CCTV and mobile phone footage of Friday’s traumatic and tragic events.
“While a man has been charged, the investigation is still very much on-going and we are still appeal for anyone with information to contact the incident room at Cardiff Central Police Station.
“Our thoughts this evening, as they have been all weekend, are with the family of Karina Menzies. They have been updated with tonight’s developments and we continue to support them.”
Catrin Evans, Head of Complex Casework Unit for the Crown Prosecution Service, Wales said: “The events of Friday afternoon have touched a significant number of people from communities around Cardiff and our thoughts are with all those affected.
“South Wales Police’s investigation into the circumstances surrounding what happened on Friday is complex and ongoing.
“The Crown Prosecution Service has been offering legal guidance and advice to the police since Friday evening. Our role at this stage is to review the evidence gathered so far and advise the police in respect of criminal charges.
“I can now confirm that a thorough review of the evidence available at this point has led us to conclude that there is sufficient evidence to charge the 31-year-old man who has been under arrest since Friday with one count of murder, thirteen counts of attempted murder, four counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one count of dangerous driving.
“We also concluded that it is in the public interest to charge the defendant with these offences.
“Accordingly, South Wales Police have charged the defendant and he will appear before Cardiff Magistrates’ Court tomorrow morning.
“With legal proceedings are now underway, I would like to stress that the defendant retains the right to a fair trial. It is important that the criminal justice process is allowed to run its course without hindrance and I would therefore ask that nothing is placed in the public domain that may undermine this.”