Caerphilly Tory criticises council spend on Newsline
The Conservative candidate who stood in Caerphilly during this year’s Assembly election has repeated his call for council publication Newsline to be scrapped.
Wales Online reported on Monday how information in Caerphilly County Borough Council’s Newsline was also used by Plaid Cymru on its website.
In April, Caerphilly candidate Owen Meredith criticised the council after his Freedom of Information request showed that more than half a million pound of taxpayers’ money had been spent producing Newsline over the last five years.
Mr Meredith said: “In April, Welsh Conservatives exposed the shocking levels of taxpayers’ money being ploughed in to this vanity newspaper.
“Today we have seen shocking evidence of the abuse of taxpayer funds by Plaid Cymru. There is now nowhere for them to hide. The Newsline has been well and truly exposed as the shameful propaganda tool we have always said it was.
“In hard times, Caerphilly Council are spending the taxes of more than 110,000 council tax payers every year on this Plaid Cymru mouthpiece. It should be scrapped.
“Both Labour and Plaid administrations in Caerphilly have indulged in self promotion through the Newsline. The Welsh Conservatives are the only party in Caerphilly who would scrap the paper and invest the money in frontline services, where it can make a real difference to local families.”
A spokesman for Caerphilly County Borough Council said: “The council produced a press release on its apprenticeship scheme on October 24 2011 and sent the release to a wide range of media outlets together with the photograph.
“We believe the Caerphilly Observer used the release itself together with the photo. As you know from this there is always an opportunity for others to use this material once published. The release and photograph are also on our archive news web pages.
“The release has been used in the Newsline publication this month to further promote a key policy of the authority supported by all of the council to provide work opportunities for young people in the county borough.
“The cost of Newsline has been reduced in the last year as part of the council’s overall medium term financial plan and is produced and delivered at a cost of 15p per household – less than the price of a second class stamp – and delivers information about council services and how local residents can use these services.”Follow @CaerphillyObsvr