University of Glamorgan appeals for memories as it prepares for centenary
The University of Glamorgan wants to hear from past students as it prepares for its centenary next year.
Established in 1913 as the South Wales and Monmouthshire School of Mines, the university is seeking help from ex-students, their families and the wiser community to compile a commemorative centenary book.
Glamorgan’s Denize McIntyre who is writing the historical book, said: “We are really keen to hear from anyone who might have an interesting story to tell about the university.
“The university was founded by industry for industry and we are proud of its 100 year history of preparing graduates for the world of work.
“It would be great to hear from the people who have played a part in the institution’s past. We would also like to borrow any photographs or film footage that people might have.”
The university’s first students arrived in Treforest on October 1913 when it was called the South Wales and Monmouthshire School of Mines.
It went on to have a number of other identities including ‘Glamorgan College of Technology’, ‘Glamorgan Polytechnic’ and the ‘Polytechnic of Wales’.
It was granted university status in 1992 to become the University of Glamorgan.
In July this year it announced plans to merge with Newport University.
Governors and senior managers from both universities are developing a plan that will form the blueprint for the new university – which is as yet unnamed.
The two institutions say the aim of the merger is to build on its close partnership developed from their work with UHOVI (Universities Heads of the Valleys Institute).