Caerphilly Council warning over door-to-door pressure sales
Residents in Caerphilly County Borough have been warned to be extra vigilant after reports of pressure sales from door-to-door salesmen in the area.
Gwent Police and Caerphilly County Borough Council’s Trading Standards have had complaints about salesmen working in the area offering burglar alarms and double-glazing with claims that pressure tactics are being used.
Some even said they were working with Gwent Police.
Cllr Davie Poole, cabinet member for community and leisure services, said: “We are very concerned about these reports and want to raise awareness of this type of pressure selling that can be employed by a minority of firms out there. We are working with colleagues in the police and would appeal to residents to be alert and contact us if they have any concerns.”
The council and police advise residents to be wary of sellers who may offer goods and services on the doorstep or by telesales.
They have issued the following advice:
- Think carefully about agreeing to a deal on the spot – It is always better to shop around and compare quotes.
- Use a reputable firm that you are happy you will be able to contact again should any faults need putting right.
- Be wary of any business literature that only gives a mobile phone number. They are difficult to trace. Look for a landline.
- Remember that you often have cancellation rights if you do agree to having work done or buying services when in your home.
- ID Cards are very easy to fake on a computer. Use a phone number from the yellow pages or directory enquires to call the head office and see if the caller is genuine. Never trust a number given to you by the caller, there could be an accomplice at the end of the phone.
- Trading Standards and Gwent Police support a ‘Nominated Neighbour’ scheme whereby vulnerable members of the community can nominate a neighbour who will check the callers’ identity and then return with the caller.
- If you feel afraid, harassed, threatened or intimidated by a caller, call the Police on 999 straight away.
To report any rogue traders please call Caerphilly County Borough Council’s Trading Standards team on 01495 235291.
For more advice contact The National Consumer Advice Helpline on 08454 04 05 06.Follow @CaerphillyObsvr