Governors and Caerphilly Council agree work for Cwmcarn High School asbestos removal works
Governors at Cwmcarn High School have agreed to allow Caerphilly County Borough Council to manage the emergency asbestos removal works at the site.
The Governing Body met on Monday after the council called for a swift resolution in order to get the works done in time for pupils and staff to return to Cwmcarn in September.
Cllr Rhianon Passmore, cabinet member for education, said: “I’m sure that the whole school community will be delighted that an agreement has been reached and works can finally proceed.
“However, time is against us and we need to act quickly to progress the asbestos removal and remediation works. We are aiming to get pupils back on site on 2nd September, but to do this we will need to provide temporary accommodation as a short term measure while works are completed within the school buildings.
“We now need to focus our efforts moving forward and ensure that pupils and staff can return to a safe learning environment, back in the heart of the community.”
Gary Thomas, Chair of Governors at Cwmcarn, said: “We look forward to working with the council to progress the scheme. I would like to thank everyone for their patience over the last few months while we worked hard to resolve this issue.”
Cwmcarn High School was closed on October 12 last year after a report by Santia Asbestos Management Ltd asked Caerphilly Council to consider whether school buildings should be demolished because of widespread airborne asbestos. Since then, the school’s pupils have relocated to the former Coleg Gwent campus in Ebbw Vale.
But a report published by the Health and Safety Executive laboratory (HSL) has said the original findings by Santia may have been overstated.
In April councillors agreed to spend £700,000 on asbestos removal and £300,000 on temporary classrooms.
Have your say below
Please review our commenting guidelines before posting a comment.