'Independent Community News Service of the Year'
Wales Media Awards 2016

Rugby Union: Cardiff Met 20 Bargoed 27

Published in Sport on Monday March 16th, 2015. Last updated at 12:43

Bargoed’s forward power proved too much for the students of Cardiff Met to handle as they eased past to record their 19th consecutive victory in the Championship and the 17th with a bonus point.

In brilliant sunshine, on March 7, at the University’s Cyncoed campus, the students raced into a 10-0 lead through a seventh minute penalty from the boot of outside half Jacob Chilcott followed by a try from Dominic McGeekie. The big number eight running in unopposed from twenty metres having been the recipient of an overthrow by the Cardiff Met hooker Ryan Roach who failed to hit his jumper and McGeekie was as surprised as anyone to find himself in the clear. Chilcott added the extras.

Bargoed forced a penalty from the restart and outside half Josh Prosser converted it from 40 metres to register their first points on 23 minutes. After a slow start Bargoed’s pack was beginning to exert some pressure and having taken a scrum against the head on half way, the forwards took a couple of rumbles before hooker Leigh Meades played scrum half, fed powerful wing Lewis Protheroe who outpaced the Cardiff Met defence to score from the half way. Prosser’s conversion was pulled across the front of the posts. More was to come from the Blues as a second try in eight minutes gave them a 10-13 lead at the break – another scrum ended in a Bargoed penalty, Prosser kicked to eight metres from the Student’s line, the inevitable catch a drive came on and second row Geraint Edmunds peeled off to score. Prosser hit the post with the conversion and Bargoed had their noses in front 10-13 at half time.

The students were fired up from the start of the second half and got back in front on 52 minutes following a break by scrum half Luke O’Brien. The ball was moved quickly across the backs, referee Dai Cambourne waved play on as two Cardiff Met midfield players shielded the ball carrier and full back Chris Leversley crossed in the corner to make it 17-13 with Chilcott’s conversion.

Bargoed continued to dominate but still found themsleves chasing the game with just 11 minutes to go but a scrum just inside the students’ twenty two changed all that. The drive came on and Cardiff Met were penalised. another scrum was called and this time the drive was unstoppable and scrum half James Pizey came up with the ball. Prosser converted and Bargoed were back in front at 17-20.

More was to come and Prosser kicked Bargoed back into the students’ twenty two from a penalty. Another clean catch and drive saw Edmunds go over for his second and Bargoed’s fourth try of the afternoon, securing the bonus point. Prosser converted to give Bargoed a comfortable 10 point margin with just enough time for the restart.

Referee Cambourne penalised Bargoed just inside their half and Chilcott had no hesitation in going for goal to secure a losing bonus point. He duly converted it and Bargoed ran out winners by 20-27.

Have your say below
Have your say below
Related Links